Three Arrested Following Club Menage Teen Shooting | Crime

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Three Arrested Following Club Menage Teen Shooting

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Three people have now been arrested in connection with a shooting in Arlington that left one teen dead.

Horace Lee James, 14, was shot to death outside Club Menage while attending a teen party after a fight broke out outside the club Sept. 25.

After nearly a month of investigation, 18-year-old Jeremiah Brylon Corbett was charged with James' murder Friday.

Two others, 20-year-old Bryant Lee Smith and 19-year-old Raphael Leonardo Thompson have also been arrested in connection.

"He lost his life for nothing, but he is in a better place now," said Leon Romer, Horace's stepfather.

According to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, several witnesses reported a van with four males inside drove up to a nearby parking lot, and shots rang out from inside the van toward the crowded parking lot.

"Without (the witnesses) coming forward, it would have been nearly impossible for detectives to locate the van immediately," said Lt. Larry Schmidt with JSO.

James was hit in the head by a bullet and pronounced dead.

Schmidt said James was "at the wrong place at the wrong time," adding that Corbett was aiming at a someone he was arguing with in the parking lot.

A 17-year-old female was also hit while she was in a car, but has since recovered and left the hospital.

The witnesses identified the four people in the van as Eric Johnson, Thompson, Smith and Corbett.

Johnson and Thompson told detectives Corbett was the shooter, and Thompson's parents told detectives Thompson had access to a van matching the description of the one involved in the shooting.

Corbett, who has multiple arrests as a juvenile, was located Friday and taken into custody.

He faces charges including murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, shooting or throwing deadly missiles, and possession of a firearm by a delinquent felon.

He denied any involvement in the incident.

Horace's family hopes to face Corbett in court, to ask him a direct question.

"I would want to ask that guy, 'What were you thinking? Were you thinking that you were just going to get away?'" Romer said.

Thompson was arrested three days after the shooting and charged with two felony counts of accessory after the fact. He has since been released on bond and is due back in court Thursday.

Smith also was arrested in late September. He is charged with four felony counts of accessory after the fact and two counts of giving false information to a law enforcement officer.


Arlington Businesses