French Fry Accident Burns Down Arlington Home | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

French Fry Accident Burns Down Arlington Home
News

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A man started out cooking french fries and ended up in the hospital after his home caught fire.

According to John Bracey with the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, firefighters responded to a fire at a home in the 2200 block of Hoffman Street.  When they got there, Bracey said flames were shooting from the home.

After about 10-12 minutes, fire crews got the blaze under control, but Bracey said the homeowner went to Shands Jacksonville to be treated for minor injuries he sustained in the fire.

The homeowner later reported that he'd been making fries in some grease on the stove and stepped out of the kitchen.  Bracey said while the homeowner was away from the stove the fire started.

Now the house has extensive damage, with the worst concentrated in the kitchen.

In addition to fighting the fire, first responders also had to deal with a downed power line that fell in the home's front yard.  Bracey said the firefighters had to be careful not to touch the line until JEA could get there to secure it.

With Thanksgiving only hours away, Bracey reminded homeowners to be careful in the kitchen.  Bracey said more than half of house fires throughout the country start in the kitchen.

News

Arlington Deals

Arlington Businesses