Zeljko Causevic in custody after devices found at Jax airport | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Zeljko Causevic in custody after devices found at Jax airport

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Two men are in police custody following an incident involving a suspicious package at the Jacksonville International Airport Tuesday.

JAX Airport Public Information Officer Michael Stewart said two formal arrests have been made following the Oct. 1 incident at the airport. Stewart said one person in custody is directly related to the incident, while the other is not related.

Zeljko Causevic, 39, was booked into the Duval County Jail at 1:30 a.m. Wednesday following an arrest by the JAX Airport Police. Authorities say Causevic was arrested at JAX Airport after he allegedly told security screeners he had a bomb in his backpack but they only found an electronic scale and batteries.

Causevic is facing charges of false report about planting a bomb or explosive and manufacture/possess/sell/deliver or mail hoax bomb, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office jail log. An arrest report indicates he's originally from Bosnia.

A second suspect, 35-year-old, Manuel Rivera, was also arrested by JAX Airport Police and booked into the Duval County Jail at 1:33 a.m., according to the JSO jail log.

Rivera was defensive with officials and dropped a bag he was carrying, which was cleared by officials. According to an FBI press release, he has no connection to the initial bomb threat.

Rivera is charged with resisting officer without violence.

The FBI release detailed that a third person was detained. The unknown person was becoming disruptive on an outbound flight.

Officials determined that the disruption was not connected to the bomb threat and no arrest was made.

The three events in a short time frame suggested perhaps that there was a bigger event unfolding, the FBI release said. It was law enforcement's mission to ensure the safety of the traveling public and security of the airport complex.

Both Causevic and Rivera appeared in court at 1 p.m. Wednesday. Causevic was ordered to be held on a $1 million total bond and his next court appearance was scheduled for Oct. 23.

Rivera is scheduled in court Thursday at 1:30 p.m. on a probable cause hearing.

Jacksonville International Airport reopened after authorities found two suspicious packages -- one they said was destructive -- that led to an evacuation and a shutdown for hours.

The Aviation Authority is working to determine the number of passengers impacted due to Tuesday night's incident.

The airport was evacuated around 6 p.m. Tuesday after police found a suspicious package in the terminal and another in a nearby parking garage.

Contributing: The Associated Press


Arlington Deals

Arlington Businesses